Friday, October 12, 2007

Better Than Spring

Last night was the first night that it was below 70 degrees, which for an October seems strange to me, but in any case, tonight, it is even cooler--down to the 50s, and it is this time of year that I love best, undoubtedly.

They open the screen doors, and the breeze off that skims off the turning leaves is better than anything Spring can hope to create. Why that is, well, I don't know.

I watch the lizards crawling along in the path of the sun beams throughout the day, and I've seen them--if I haven't caught them--grow by the inch for the past months, but now they feel it, as do the frogs that stick to the windows at night, and the spiders that have grown fat off the summer bounty.

October sounds like what it is.

--Gray

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.